|Las Vegas, Nevada (Official City of Las Vegas Text Site)|
|Home | Visitor | Resident | Business|
Moulin Rouge Hotel and Casino
The Moulin Rouge Hotel and Casino opened in 1955 and was Las Vegas’ first interracial entertainment facility. Designed by architects Zick and Sharp, the casino boasted an impressive modern design, topped only by the huge neon sign in sweeping pink script. Although the hotel was only open for five months, stars such as Sammy Davis, Jr., the Platters, Maurice and Gregory Hines, Lionel Hampton and Dinah Washington performed there. In 1960 the Moulin Rouge was the site of the signing of the Moulin Rouge Agreement which ended segregation in Las Vegas. The casino suffered a fire in 2003 which burned the historic casino but left the front façade and famous sign.
The sign, designed by Betty Willis, designer of the famous “Welcome to Fabulous Las Vegas” sign, was moved to the Neon Museum in 2008 just days before half of the historic hotel burned in a separate fire. The historic façade and tower were demolished in 2010. A portion of the historic hotel building remains.
The Moulin Rouge site continues to be listed on the city of Las Vegas Historic Property Register and the National Register of Historic Places.
^ External Link
© 2010 City of Las Vegas | Privacy, Security, Acceptable Use Policies | Accessibility | About This Web Site | Contact Us