Media Release


Monday, September 24, 2012
For Immediate Release
Fire & Rescue

Contact: Tim Szymanski
Telephone: 303-2993


Two Alarm Fire Damages Six Homes On City’s Eastside
One Person Was Taken To The Hospital, Cause of Fire Is Under Investigation


Firefighters from Las Vegas, Clark County and North Las Vegas battled a fast moving fire in a neighborhood on the city’s eastside late Sunday afternoon. The cause of the fire is under investigation. There were four minor injuries.

Fire dispatchers received numerous 9-1-1 calls at 4:49 p.m. that there was a large fire behind several homes in the 1200 block of Virgil St. (Pecos/E. Washington). As firefighters were leaving their stations, a large column of thick black smoke was visible from the area.

When firefighters arrived on Virgil St. they found the bulk of the fire behind 1213 Virgil St., a one-story wood frame house. When they went to the back of the house they found the back of the house as well as the yard  on fire. Winds were fanning flames and spreading the fire to neighboring homes on Virgil Street and Newport Street, the next street over. A second alarm was dispatched to the scene.

Firefighters quickly brought the fire under control but not before it damaged six homes:  Virgil St:
1209-Minor, 1213-Very heavy, 1301-Minor, 1305-Heavy,  Newport St: 1204-Minor, 1208- Moderate.  A utility pole was heavily damaged, power transformer, major electric-TV-telephone cables were destroyed.  Damage was estimated at $500,000 for the incident.

The cause of the fire is under investigation. Several people in the area said they heard a loud pop prior to the fire and then the outside area around the utility pole was on fire, which spread to two large trees and then another two large trees and quickly spread to the homes. Neighbors said there was a large accumulation of pine needles from the trees all about the yards and on roofs of some of the homes. Some people reported a brief power outage after they heard the pop.

There were four minor injuries; one had breathing problems and three reported chest pains. All were from the evacuated homes. One person was finally transported to the hospital to be further examined at the advice of paramedics. The other three people denied further medical treatment.

One cat died during the fire and another was taken to an emergency animal hospital in serious condition.

The exact number of people displaced will be determined by the American Red Cross after an on-sight damage and needs assessment is made.

The cause of the fire remains under investigations.


Return to News Release Index